Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat for (8) eight hours prior to the appointment. This includes not chewing gum. Clear liquids (ginger ale, water) are allowed up to (4) four hours before surgery.
For a printable version of these instructions, please click here: Anesthesia Instructions
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for
24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please take them with a small sip of water unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.